[Spacewalk-list] cobller koan documentation

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 15:32:46 UTC 2009

On 09/15/2009 03:26 PM, rob morrien wrote:
> To all,
>
> ok where can i find step by step documentation how to use and setup
> cobller ann koan
>
> the current webpages are not always clear to me.
>
> I somebody has good documentation pls send to me or tell me where i can
> find it.
>
> regards rob

Using Cobbler as part of Spacewalk you should not need to reference the
Cobbler documentation unless you are just looking for ways to not use
the Spacewalk UI.  It is an integral part of Spacewalk, for the most
part, though if you have specific questions about
deployment/provisioning in Spacewalk context, you should ask here and
it's not a Cobbler question, it is a Spacewalk question.

If you are looking to use Cobbler directly (no Spacewalk), read the
resources here:  http://fedorahosted.org/cobbler, many instructions
there may reference features not exposed in Spacewalk , and may not
neccessarily all make sense
in Spacewalk context.

If you're just looking to use the cobbler and koan command line tools so
you don't have to use the Spacewalk GUI, you can do so by simply running
'man cobbler' and 'man koan'.

Keep in mind many things mentioned in the Cobbler manpage are not
exposed in Spacewalk, but it's fine to use commands such as "cobbler
distro edit", "cobbler profile edit", "cobbler system edit" and so
for.    DHCP management, DNS management, power management, repos,
images, Cobbler Web, and replication are all examples of things in
Cobbler that are not used in Spacewalk at this time.

Everything in koan is supported by Spacewalk except --update-files,
which it does not use.  That is to say you can use koan to start
reinstalls as well as install virtual machines, or list what profiles
are available to install remotely.

Hope that helps!

--Michael