[Spacewalk-list] cobller koan documentation

rob morrien rmorrien at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 26 23:05:39 UTC 2009

> On 09/15/2009 03:26 PM, rob morrien wrote:
>> To all,
>>
>> ok where can i find step by step documentation how to use and setup
>> cobller ann koan
>>
>> the current webpages are not always clear to me.
>>
>> I somebody has good documentation pls send to me or tell me where i can
>> find it.
>>
>> regards rob

> Using Cobbler as part of Spacewalk you should not need to reference the
> Cobbler documentation unless you are just looking for ways to not use
> the Spacewalk UI.  It is an integral part of Spacewalk, for the most
> part, though if you have specific questions about
> deployment/provisioning in Spacewalk context, you should ask here and
> it's not a Cobbler question, it is a Spacewalk question.
>
> If you are looking to use Cobbler directly (no Spacewalk), read the
> resources here:  http://fedorahosted.org/cobbler, many instructions
> there may reference features not exposed in Spacewalk , and may not
> neccessarily all make sense
> in Spacewalk context.
>
> If you're just looking to use the cobbler and koan command line tools so
> you don't have to use the Spacewalk GUI, you can do so by simply running
> 'man cobbler' and 'man koan'.
>
> Keep in mind many things mentioned in the Cobbler manpage are not
> exposed in Spacewalk, but it's fine to use commands such as "cobbler
> distro edit", "cobbler profile edit", "cobbler system edit" and so
> for.    DHCP management, DNS management, power management, repos,
> images, Cobbler Web, and replication are all examples of things in
> Cobbler that are not used in Spacewalk at this time.
>
> Everything in koan is supported by Spacewalk except --update-files,
> which it does not use.  That is to say you can use koan to start
> reinstalls as well as install virtual machines, or list what profiles
> are available to install remotely.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> --Michael

Michael,

thx for the info , but i am looking for a training document how to use
spacewalk with cobbler.

it can be for fedora, centos/rhel5 it doesn't matter.
but the document should tell me what to do , so i get a feeling with the
product.

i found a document introducing spacewalk and cobbler version 0.4
which is learning me a lot.
fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/howtokickstartcobbler

but i found also links in the document like spacewalk.redhat.com/yum/0.4
wich are not on the server anymore

so where can i find some examples for centos/rhel5/fedora which i want to
use .

regards rob