[Spacewalk-list] Child Channels..

andre at vandervlies.xs4all.nl andre at vandervlies.xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 27 12:17:29 UTC 2010

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, andre at vandervlies.xs4all.nl wrote:
>
>> But, to my knowledge, this is the same as creating a 'new' channel... Or
>> it does look so... When a clone a channel I'll still have to give a
>> different name, fill in the repository, etc. etc.
>>
>> It look and feels the same as creating a new channel with a different
>> name.
>> Please explain the differences to me.
>
> I think it is as you think it is.
>
> When I had this issue I just had one directory on disk with the rpms I
> wanted
> to be in the channel, and a script that rhnpushed them to be identical.
> That
> way there was never an issue of them being out of sync.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Let's say I got two (base)
channels (32-bit and 64-bit). Both these channels use a 'noarch' channel.
I have to create a 32-noarch and a 64-noarch and subscribe to the
appropiate base channel. Everthing but the label and is the same...
(I'm not sure if the storage of the packages is doubled...)

I would like to subscribe the noarch channel to both the 32-bit channels
and the 64-bit channel...
It seems less obfuscated to me...

> What problem does having two channels synced using a common script cause
> you?

So I just create another level of control to do what I want???

--
               Andre van der Vlies <andre at vandervlies.xs4all.nl>
               Certifiable Linux/UNIX engineer (CLUE)