[Spacewalk-list] Oracle 11g

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Fri Aug 27 14:11:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 02:31:10PM +0200, DEMARQUAY, Mathieu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone tried to replace oracle-instantclient11.2-sqlplus 10.2.0 by oracle-instantclient11.2-sqlplus successfully?
>
> I know it is clearly written in the wiki that we are supposed to stick with oracle-instantclient 10g release, but unfortunately I need both versions on my server. The two versions of oracle-instantclient 'basic' & 'jdbc' are both installed and seem to coexist quite well, but the two sqlplus packages are conflicting.

I have no experience with this setup.

The potential issues that you might hit would be

1) the 11g sqlplus would be confused and would try to use the 10g
   libraries instead of the 11g ones;
2) the things in the jdbc package as well as other things compiled
   against the 10g libraries (DBD::Oracle, cx_Oracle) would be
   confused and would try to use the 11g libraries instead of the 10g
   ones;
3) the SELinux policy module would not know about the 11g sqlplus and
   libraries leading to AVC denials.

If the coexistence of the libraries does not pose any issues for you
so far, I believe that the first two problems might not hit you
and the SELinux issue will be the main one -- you should try to tweak
the paths in /usr/sbin/oracle-instantclient-sqlplus-selinux-enable.

Let us know how it went.

--
Jan Pazdziora