[Spacewalk-list] 0.7 upgrade to nightly

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 09:56:17 UTC 2010

Bushby, Bruce (London)(c) wrote:
%
% This is probably a stupid question....but why "upgrade" spacewalk as apposed to "re-deploying" a fresh install?
%
% I've always avoided upgrades finding they're more head ache then they're worth. On the client side, my build is so automated it's quicker to "re-image" then to upgrade.
%
% On the Satellite/Spacewalk side, I export all my channels (rhn-satellite-exporter) , rebuild and import the channels, configure keys and run a script that registers my clients to the new server.
%
% ...although I don't use cobbler/puppet etc, not sure how you would export/import their configs.

Hi Bruce,

if your deployment consists of hundereds or thousands servers and use
config channels then it's impossible to start over and over. And then you
have to upgrade.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat