[Spacewalk-list] Kickstarting KVM nodes fail with "Unable to download the kickstart file"

Ian Forde ianforde at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 20:30:54 UTC 2010

So I've got Spacewalk 1.0 setup on a box running CentOS 5.4.  My testing
KVM server is setup with CentOS 5.4 also.  I attempt to use Spacewalk's
provisioning facility to do a kickstart of a test KVM node.  And it's a
bear.  Right now, I've gotten the VM to boot and start the kickstart,
only to get stuck at the "Unable to download the kickstart file" message
within Anaconda.  Upon examining the VM using virt-manager, it appears
that *something* (Spacewalk? Cobbler? Cosmic Rays?) caused the VM to be
created without a network interface.

Some background info:  So far, I've run into the "koan instance has no
attribute 'virt_auto_boot'", which was resolved by downgrading koan from
2.0.3.1 to 1.6.6 on the KVM host.

Then I realized that by default, the KVM host only has a NAT interface.
So I setup br0 on the box as follows:

Contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
	DEVICE=eth0
	HWADDR=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
	ONBOOT=yes
	BRIDGE=br0
	ETHTOOL_OPTS="autoneg off speed 100 duplex full"

Contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0:
	DEVICE=br0
	BOOTPROTO=static
	ONBOOT=yes
	IPADDR=X.X.X.X
	NETMASK=255.255.255.0
	GATEWAY=X.X.X.1
	TYPE=Bridge
	DELAY=0

I've also added the following to /etc/sysctl.conf (and subsequently run
'sysctl -p':
	net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables = 0
	net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables = 0
	net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-arptables = 0

In Spacewalk, the profile is defined to use the Virtual Bridge 'br0'.

Can anyone see what I've missed here?  I've managed to replicate this on
an entirely different set of servers in another location (different
Spacewalk, different KVM server), so whatever I'm missing, I've missed
it twice...

Thanks,

	-I