[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk and Puppet integration

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 06:59:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Cliff <cperry at redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
> While I am also interested in knowing area's of the config management system
> with Spacewalk would like maybe enhanced. I am quite interested in knowing
> of this usage.
>
> I found your write up to be very informative. Nice to see the usage of
> custom_info and a custom External Node Lookup script.
>
> Did you consider using Cobbler as an external node? If so, what was the
> choice not to use it, lack of value?
>  -
> https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/UsingCobblerWithConfigManagementSystem

I have been reading this wiki entry earlier, but have not considered
to use that approach. I now see that the external node lookup script
and cobbler features described in the Wiki seems to be present in RH
Satellite Server 5.3 (which we use at work). I will try to create a
Spacewalk setup using Cobbler as an external node source to see if it
fits the requirements.

> Are there area's within Spacewalk you would like to see enhanced further to
> make future work with Puppet easier to do?

Basically what I need is a simple way to integrate a configuration
management system with Spacewalk both at kickstart time and for later
configuration. Flexibility and good APIs /scripting possibilities to
be able to connect Spacewalk to other pieces of software is very
valuable.

I may be able to give better feedback when I have worked more with this.

> Are you using git or svn to store puppet config files? Since the config
> management system of Spacewalk has basic revision control, did you consider
> using Spacewalk's config management system to manage the puppet configs? :)

yes, we do use svn to store puppet config files. We are also about to
improve our workflow using tags and scripts to make a more consistent
dev -> test -> prod staging of Puppet code.
We have not considered to use the config management system of
Spacewalk to store puppet configs.

Best regards,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud