[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk and Puppet integration

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 07:45:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Cliff
[...]
> Did you consider using Cobbler as an external node? If so, what was the
> choice not to use it, lack of value?

I have experimented a bit with Cobbler as a source for external node
definitions. One small limitation / drawback I have noticed is the
requirement that
every server need to be added in Cobbler
(system add --name=xyz ...) before Cobbler can
deliver any Puppet configuration.

In my approach, the only requirement is that the node is registered on
Spacewalk. The activation key(s) used upon registration is used to
determine the Puppet classes. I think this should be enough for a
basic configuration of the node if a few well defined server profiles
exist. This will of course depend on the individual organization.

Best regards,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud