[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 0.8, CentOS and repodata (yum update fails)

Bushby, Bruce (London)(c) bbushby at maninvestments.com
Wed Mar 17 17:15:30 UTC 2010

Hi

I'm still having issues with Spacewalk 0.8 whereby a fresh client is
unable to run "yum update".

After hearing the issue was supposed to be fixed in Spacewalk 0.8, I
rebuilt my server, created a single channel with 3 python rpms and used
the UI to
"Alter channel Subscriptions"

On my client, I ran "yum clean all", "yum repolist" and then "yum update
python" .... wow it worked. At first I didn't understand how and I put
it down to someone
Having fixed/patched spacewalk 0.8.

Back in the office I rebuilt another Spacewalk and configured everything
(thinking spacewalk now works), after creating and syncing channels I
had the following setup:
[root at spacewalk mail]# rhn-satellite-exporter --list-channels
Channel List:
B = Base Channel
C = Child Channel

B centos-5.3-x86_64-server
C       centos-5.3-x86_64-centosplus
C       centos-5.3-x86_64-extras
C       centos-5.3-x86_64-updates

B centos-5.4-x86_64-server
C       centos-5.4-x86_64-centosplus
C       centos-5.4-x86_64-extras
C       centos-5.4-x86_64-updates

B fedora-12-x86_64
C       fedora-12-x86_64-updates

I then installed a client, registered it to spacewalk.....and "yum
update" fails
At first I couldn't understand what was going on because I had seen the
test one work, determined not to rebuild, I did the following on my
spacewalk server:
1. rhn-satellite stop
2. /etc/init.d/oracle-xe start
3. connect to Oracle, drop user spacewalk cascade
4. Create sspacewalk and other spacewalk steps
5. configure spacewalk

This time, before syncing my channels, I first created the test channel
(3x python rpms) confirmed my client could run "yum update python" and
then ran a channel import from
A previous export (to save sync/download time)
import_centos_5_3()
{
        CHANNEL="centos-5.3-x86_64-server"
        satellite-sync --mount-point=${IMPORT_DIR}/${CHANNEL} \
                -c "centos-5.3-x86_64-server" \
                -c "centos-5.3-x86_64-centosplus" \
                -c "centos-5.3-x86_64-extras" \
                -c "centos-5.3-x86_64-updates"
}

I then pointed my client to "centos-5.3-x86_64-server" and "yum update"
worked...........at last, after 2 months I had a WORKING spacewalk.

Then I tried to clone "centos-5.3-x86_64-server" together with updates,
resulting in:
B lgb-2.0.1
C       lgb-2.0.1-updates

I then pointed my client to it....and to my horror it FAILS :(

In summary:
1. When deploying a fresh install of Spacewalk 0.8 on CentOS 5.4, you
need to create a tiny test channel before syncing/importing your other
channels
2. Even though point 1. gets things working, if you clone the channel
and start using the clone..."yum update" then fails

Where do we go from here? It takes many hours to setup these test
"instances" and I'm very surprised nobody else has deployed a fresh
install of Spacewalk and not encounterd these
Problems. I don't install from kickstart trees because the scripts to
create the trees didn't work when I was running Spacewalk on Fedora 12.

Is anybody else able to deploy a fresh install of Spacewalk 0.8 on
CentOS 5.4, sync channels and have their client run "yum update"
successfully?

Any ideas?

Regards
Bruce