[Spacewalk-list] 'Invalid function call attempted' with Remote Command

Mullis, Josh (CCI-Atlanta) josh.mullis at cox.com
Tue Nov 2 23:47:33 UTC 2010

Hello all,

On a mix of my RHEL/CENTOS 4 systems are getting a "Invalid function
call attempted" error (below) when a remote command is scheduled.
- yum/update package upgdates do not help.
- Resolution from redhat knowledgebase (below) did not help either.

On one system that is working fine, we cloned to new hardware and now
that new system is having this issue.
We of course re-registered with rhnreg_ks --force blah blah
I tried removing the systemid file and regenerating the uuid in
up2date-uuid file to no avail.

Let me know if I can provide further information.
Thanks
-Josh

Error from RHN_CHECK
--------------------------------
rhn_check -vvvvvv
D: handle_action actionid = 58601, version = 2
D: do_call script.run (58601, {'username': 'root', 'groupname': 'root',
'now': '2010-11-02 19:36:52', 'timeout': 600, 'script': '#!/bin/sh\n
\necho'})
D: Attempt to call an unsupported action script.run (58601, {'username':
'root', 'groupname': 'root', 'now': '2010-11-02 19:36:52', 'timeout':
600, 'script': '#!/bin/sh\n\necho'})
D: Sending back response (6, 'Invalid function call attempted', {})
D: do_call packages.checkNeedUpdate ('rhnsd=1',)
D: local action status:  (0, 'rpm database not modified since last
update (or package list recently updated)', {})
-------------------------------

Below is this issue in the redhat knowledgebase, however the resolution
did not help.

===Excerpt from redhat knowledgebase===

Why am I getting an "Invalid function call
attempted" when trying to run Remote
Commands on my systems managed by the
Satellite Server?
Release Found: Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Red Hat Satellite Server
Problem:
When attempting to run arbitrary scripts via the "Remote Commands"
feature of the Red Hat
Network Satellite Server, scripts fail to execute on the target systems
with the following error
code response:
(6, 'Invalid function call attempted', {})
Solution:
This error is usually generated because the client systems in question
are not configured
properly. In order to ensure that the systems receive the intended
remote commands, make
sure that the following criteria are met on the client systems:
      1. The clients configured with a Provisioning Entitlement
      2. The clients are subscribed to the Red Hat Network Tools Channel
for their
         respective Red Hat Enteprise Linux version
      3. The clients have the rhncfg, rhncfg-client, rhncfg-management,
and rhncfg-actions
         packages installed. These packages contain the necessary client
functions required
         for Remote Commands to execute properly.
      4. Execute the following command on the client system:
         # rhn-actions-control --enable-run
         (Allow rhncfg-client the ability to execute remote scritps)
In most cases, this will resolve the error and allow Remote Commands to
complete
successfully.