[Spacewalk-list] Support for SUSE and RHEL4

Deependra Singh Shekhawat deepsa at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 9 01:17:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Jason M. Nielsen <jnielsen at myriad.com>wrote:

> Running Spacewalk 1.4 with RHEL 4.8 clients. I have seen some strange
> issues during the registration process. The registration appeared to be ok
> and the client would check in (via rhn_check) without issue but it would
> never show updates being available. Had to reregister every client after the
> initial registration to get this working. There is no yum rhn plugin as far
> as I know for RHEL4 so you will be back to using up2date which while it
> works its just not as nice as yum and it makes things inconsistent across
> installations. Also up2date doesnt appear to notify SW about actions that
> have taken place like yum does. ie: up2date install foo will not register an
> event in spacewalk. If you schedule from spacewalk though it works fine.
> Rollbacks also do not appear to work at all.

Thanks for the input. For the time being we have only 2 RHEL 4.8 machines so
we are keeping it on hold. I wonder if we will be able to install the latest
spacewalk client in SLES 11 SP1 because the version of python there is 2.6
on the other hand spacewalk asks for python 2.7

Also for RHEL 5.5 , we have both x86_64 and i386, will I be able to sync
with RHN both of them , specially the updates channel , via mrepo. Currently
I am syncing the x86_64 channel.