[Spacewalk-list] Support for SUSE and RHEL4

Deependra Singh Shekhawat deepsa at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 10 02:01:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Deependra Singh Shekhawat <
deepsa at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Jason M. Nielsen <jnielsen at myriad.com>wrote:
>
>> Running Spacewalk 1.4 with RHEL 4.8 clients. I have seen some strange
>> issues during the registration process. The registration appeared to be ok
>> and the client would check in (via rhn_check) without issue but it would
>> never show updates being available. Had to reregister every client after the
>> initial registration to get this working. There is no yum rhn plugin as far
>> as I know for RHEL4 so you will be back to using up2date which while it
>> works its just not as nice as yum and it makes things inconsistent across
>> installations. Also up2date doesnt appear to notify SW about actions that
>> have taken place like yum does. ie: up2date install foo will not register an
>> event in spacewalk. If you schedule from spacewalk though it works fine.
>> Rollbacks also do not appear to work at all.
>>

> Thanks for the input. For the time being we have only 2 RHEL 4.8 machines
> so we are keeping it on hold. I wonder if we will be able to install the
> latest spacewalk client in SLES 11 SP1 because the version of python there
> is 2.6 on the other hand spacewalk asks for python 2.7
>
> Also for RHEL 5.5 , we have both x86_64 and i386, will I be able to sync
> with RHN both of them , specially the updates channel , via mrepo. Currently
> I am syncing the x86_64 channel.

Update:

We were able to configure RHEL 5.5 x86_64/i386 and RHEL4.8 ES i386 channels
and sync the same with the help of mrepo. We need to test push updates to
the clients. For SLES 11 SP1 x86_64 we have found that spacewalk 1.2
packages are available on download.novell.com but we were not able to find
couple of dependencies like rhnlib, rhnsd, python-ethtool, python-newt,
python-dmidecode, suseRegisterInfo etc. The ones for openSUSE are for python
2.7 , can someone please tell where we can find the resolution to
dependencies for spacewalk 1.2 client available in download.novell.com ?

Thanks,