[Spacewalk-list] Snapshot Rollback always redeploys all configuration files

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at myriad.com
Mon Dec 12 16:30:39 UTC 2011

I attempted this in on RHEL5 and 6. 6 just blew up and Im looking into
why now. RHEL5 worked but re/deployed when it appears it should not
have. It also appears to have wanted to modify the group membership
which also never changed though I cant confirm this.

Please let me know once you have the file so I can remove it. Thanks!
http://www.myriad.com/rollback_rhn_check_output.tar.gz

Process
========
RHEL5:
*yum install psutils
*yum install a2ps
*Attempted to rollback to the psutils only install.
*At no point was anything done regarding config files spacewalk side.

RHEL6:
*yum install psutils
*yum install bsf
*Attempted to rollback to the psutils only install.
*At no point was anything done regarding config files spacewalk side.

Results
========
rhel6_rollback.txt: Contains rhn_check output for a RHEL6 system.
*This crashed and I have no clue why as I dont know what an "oracle"
user has to do with this system in any form nor fashion. It does not
exist, never has existed and does spacewalk even deal with system user
accounts? This one totally confuses me too.

rhel5_rollback.txt: Contains rhn_check output for a RHEL5 system.
*The rollback succeeded but it did indeed do the following:
1)Deployed all files from all subscribed channels.
2)Deployed files from subscribed channels which were never deployed to
this server.
3)Deployed files that had been changed locally on the server but not via
spacewalk meaning it should have at most realized they changed but it
was never part of a spacewalk even so there should have been no rollback
of said file(s).

rhel5_before_rollback.jpg
*Configuration comparison via spacewalk gui screen shot of the RHEL5
system before rollback.

rhel5_after_rollback.jpg
*Configuration comparison via spacewalk gui screen shot of the RHEL5
system after rollback.

Specific examples of what happens:
/etc/logrotate.d/console
*Never existed on this system yet it deployed.

/etc/rc3.d/S98myriadfirstboot
*Is deployed during server creation but destroys itself on the first
boot. It was redeployed even though it was part of no scheduled action.
Suppose this might be a legitimate action though since it sees its
missing. Seems odd to me that since its removal is not a spacewalk event
why it would decide to redeploy when not told to do so.

/etc/cron.d/spacewalk_rhncheck
I commented out the first cron job in this file and it was redeployed
with the non-comment one. Again, I never changed it via spacewalk (vi
locally only) and it was redeployed. Spacewalk at most would know its
different but its not part of a rollback as the file prior to
this(S98myriadfirstboot).

/etc/resolv.conf
*Tossed in "#test" at the bottom of the file. It was redeployed and
comment lost. Again this was edited locally and not via spacewalk and it
should have not rolled back as there was nothing to "rollback" to.