[Spacewalk-list] RHEL support and Ubuntu Support

Cliff Perry cperry at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 18:34:23 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 10:49 AM, Jeff Bjorklund wrote:
> Could someone please explain to me why Spacewalk (a RH product) doesn’t
> allow patching of RHEL systems? I would have assumed that this was a

Hi, this is covered within the FAQ on the main spacewalk page:

http://spacewalk.redhat.com/faq.html#compare

Support-ability statements are to help ensure that we do not confuse nor
miss-represent expectations for Red Hat customers when they contact Red
Hat Support for assistance with our products vs mixing paid-for products
and projects.

 Spacewalk is a Red Hat project, Satellite is a Red Hat product (based
off Spacewalk). Note project vs product.

I know others have replied to some of the other points made below.

> licensing thing, but Novell’s SuSE Manager (which is even based on
> Spacewalk!) supports RHEL.
>

> I see in the “Registering Clients” wiki that you can add RHEL systems to
> Spacewalk, but that “it will override some of the original base packages
> and you may well be invalidating your support agreement with Red Hat.”
> I’m hesitant to even attempt this.
>

> If I have an RHN login, why can’t I add the repos directly from RH? Does
> it really need  to cost $13k/yr to mirror a RHEL repo remotely?

This is part of the value of using a supported Red Hat product vs a
project, again, noted in the FAQ for Spacewalk I pointed to earlier. If
you are interested in an eval or other options for Satellite, please
contact your Red Hat Sales/account representative.

Regards,
Cliff