[Spacewalk-list] CentOS 6 provisioning problem: can't retrieve repomd.xml

Jonathan DeHaan jdehaan at nexstar.tv
Wed Dec 21 16:09:42 UTC 2011

My experience is with Fedora, rather than CentOS, but I suspect you are
running into the same problem.

Anaconda does not pull repomd.xml from the base repository, it pulls it
from the installation media. I suspect that this may be because it needs
the location of the comps file, which Spacewalk does not provide. The
upshot is that you need to have a repodata/repomd.xml and
repodata/comps.xml file in your distribution tree, and the contents of
the repomd.xml file need to match what packages you have in your base
channel. If you have packages in your base channel that repomd.xml does
not know about, anaconda will not find them. If you are missing packages
from your base channel that are referenced by repomd.xml or comps.xml,
it will complain about missing packages.

I'm not sure how the netboot ISO gets around this, but since you are
handing it a custom kickstart, whatever workaround they have in place is
being ignored.

Jonathan

Jonathan DeHaan
Linux Systems Engineer