[Spacewalk-list] provisioning, cannot retrieve repository metadata

Michael Gliwinski Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com
Fri Feb 4 10:38:12 UTC 2011

Hi List,

This is on Spacewalk 1.2.

I'm trying to setup provisioning of CentOS systems, more or less as described
at https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToKickstartCobbler , however I'm
getting to the point where it downloads stage2.img (sucessfully) and tries to
setup repositories at which point is stops with an error:

Unable to read package metadata... Cannot retrieve repository metadata
(repomd.xml) for repository: anaconda-base-201004300022.i386. Please verify
its path and try again.

I first tried setting up distribution tree by mirroring everything except for
CentOS directory from a CentOS 5.5 mirror, then tried by copying everything
except for CentOS directory from a CentOS 5.5 DVD and finally also by just
mounting the DVD as the distro tree.

Only thing that works is if I override the URL that spacewalk generates in
kickstart file to point to that DVD exposed via HTTP (i.e. not use Spacewalk
distribution at all).

The url line generated in kickstart looks fine: "url --url
http://<SPACEWALK_HOST>/ks/dist/centos-5.5-i386".  Downloading
"http://<SPACEWALK_HOST>/ks/dist/centos-5.5-i386/repodata/repomd.xml" via
browser works OK.

I checked the logs both on the kickstarted host and on the spacewalk server
but I can't even find what URL it is trying to access.  There are some
exceptions in tomcat's log but I'm not sure if they are related.  I'm
attaching a diff of things that happened to /var/log during the kickstart just
in case it helps.

I've searched the list and found two references to errors like that but one
was to do with misconfigured tree path [1], the other seemed unresolved [2]
and both were to do with RHEL.

Any insights or pointers would be most welcome,

Regards,

Michael

[1]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2010-August/msg00147.html
[2]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2009-
December/msg00280.html

--
Michael Gliwinski
Henderson Group Information Services

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee and access to the email by anyone else is unauthorised.
When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed  in the governing client engagement leter or contract.
If you have received this email in error please notify support at henderson-group.com

John Henderson (Holdings) Ltd
Registered office: 9 Hightown Avenue, Mallusk, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT36 4RT.
Registered in Northern Ireland
Registration Number NI010588
Vat No.: 814 6399 12