[Spacewalk-list] provisioning, cannot retrieve repository metadata

Michael Gliwinski Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com
Mon Feb 7 13:54:30 UTC 2011

On Friday 04 Feb 2011 10:38:12 Michael Gliwinski wrote:
> Unable to read package metadata... Cannot retrieve repository metadata
> (repomd.xml) for repository: anaconda-base-201004300022.i386. Please verify
> its path and try again.
>
> I first tried setting up distribution tree by mirroring everything except
> for CentOS directory from a CentOS 5.5 mirror, then tried by copying
> everything except for CentOS directory from a CentOS 5.5 DVD and finally
> also by just mounting the DVD as the distro tree.
>
> Only thing that works is if I override the URL that spacewalk generates in
> kickstart file to point to that DVD exposed via HTTP (i.e. not use
> Spacewalk distribution at all).
>
> The url line generated in kickstart looks fine: "url --url
> http://<SPACEWALK_HOST>/ks/dist/centos-5.5-i386".  Downloading
> "http://<SPACEWALK_HOST>/ks/dist/centos-5.5-i386/repodata/repomd.xml" via
> browser works OK.

Got this sorted.  Just in case it helps anyone in the future, the problem was
anaconda couldn't find the server for some reason (even though it could
download the kickstart file and stage2.img which is odd).  I solved it by
overriding the 'server' option in /etc/cobbler/settings file, it should be set
either to IP address of the server or FQDN if that works (it may not work
during kickstart, depending on network setup).

--
Michael Gliwinski
Henderson Group Information Services

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee and access to the email by anyone else is unauthorised.
When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed  in the governing client engagement leter or contract.
If you have received this email in error please notify support at henderson-group.com

John Henderson (Holdings) Ltd
Registered office: 9 Hightown Avenue, Mallusk, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT36 4RT.
Registered in Northern Ireland
Registration Number NI010588
Vat No.: 814 6399 12