[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk Client Installation

Colin Coe colin.coe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 01:22:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Michael Mraka wrote:
>
>> IMHO this was a different issue - you can't register into spacewalk
>> unless you have client packages which are in spacewalk channel which are
>> inaccessible without registration... an instance of classical chicken-egg
>> problem :).
>
> I may be being dim here, but given you can access child channels when you
> kickstart, why can't you get the spacewalk client packages from there?
>
> So in my kickstart I have a repo line like this:
>
> repo --name=centos-5.5-64bit-spacewalk-client
> --baseurl=http://swserver.mydomain/ks/dist/child/centos-5.5-64bit-spacewalk-client/centos-5.5-64bit
>
> Can't I just use that as the local yum repo before registration?
>
> jh

I get around this by:
- creating a Spacewalk client child channel for the required distro,
syncing it with upstream
- creating a simple, special purpose kickstart profile and activation
key called mk_sat_client_<dist>_<arch>
- invoking a custom shell script on the client which:
  - downloads the kickstart profile (using wget)
  - extracts the GoodBits(tm)
  - runs the GoodBits(tm) as a shell script

This process results in the previously existing node appearing in
Spacewalk (or Satellite).  I've been using this approach for a couple
of years.

CC

--
RHCE#805007969328369