[Spacewalk-list] New user with some questions

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Thu Jul 28 16:40:36 UTC 2011

Hello,

      I am starting to test spacewalk in my testbed but have a few
questions first. Reading through the documentation I have been unable to
find a direct enough answer to my situation. So here goes.

     Currently we have a mixture of Fedora and Centos machines. They
range from Fedora 11 to 15 and most of the Centos ones are 5.5 or 5.6.
Currently we have a bunch of physical machines that are various versions
and 3 Xen dom0 servers that are all Centos 5.5 with xen 4.0.1. If I read
correctly spacewalk can provision new domu's on Xen. Is this correct?

      Secondly, since these 3 Xen machines are Centos 5.5, can spacewalk
work properly with them? Would it be better if I were able to install
fedora 15 on them and get xen working on that? Also I was wondering,
would spacewalk need to be on a physical machine or could it be in a
virtual machine?

      In the end I think we are going to try to move all of our servers
over to Fedora so we can have a consistent versions and easier
management. This will include all of our servers that are not on the
local campus. Should spacewalk be able to manage the remote locations also?

I apologize for all the questions, just want to make sure I have all
things straight before I dive head first into this. Thanks in advance.

Donny B.