[Spacewalk-list] New user with some questions

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 15:48:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:40:36AM -0500, Donny Brooks wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      I am starting to test spacewalk in my testbed but have a few
> questions first. Reading through the documentation I have been
> unable to find a direct enough answer to my situation. So here goes.
>
>     Currently we have a mixture of Fedora and Centos machines. They
> range from Fedora 11 to 15 and most of the Centos ones are 5.5 or
> 5.6. Currently we have a bunch of physical machines that are various
> versions and 3 Xen dom0 servers that are all Centos 5.5 with xen
> 4.0.1. If I read correctly spacewalk can provision new domu's on
> Xen. Is this correct?

Yes, you can provision new Xen guests. You cannot reprovision paravirt
guests thou.

>      Secondly, since these 3 Xen machines are Centos 5.5, can
> spacewalk work properly with them? Would it be better if I were able
> to install fedora 15 on them and get xen working on that?

That's really your decision to make.

> Also I was
> wondering, would spacewalk need to be on a physical machine or could
> it be in a virtual machine?

It can be virtual.

>      In the end I think we are going to try to move all of our
> servers over to Fedora so we can have a consistent versions and
> easier management. This will include all of our servers that are not
> on the local campus. Should spacewalk be able to manage the remote
> locations also?

Depends how remove they are -- they need to be able to reach the
server so if you have the campus behind NAT, you will have to setup
some forwarding/proxies/stuff.

--
Jan Pazdziora