[Spacewalk-list] Please help with Oracle to PostgreSQL migration

James Fillman jfillman at central1.com
Thu Nov 17 23:18:28 UTC 2011

I'm trying to migrate my Oracle database to PostgreSQL and have failed to do so after 2 tries. Our version of Oracle is 'Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production'. Server version: CentOS 5.7

I've been following the instructions from here: https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/PostgreSQLFromOracle

The output of the 'spacewalk-dump-schema' command is:
[root at vacslp01spacewalk 11.2]# spacewalk-dump-schema --db=spacewal --user=spacewalk --password=<password> > /tmp/spacewalk-oracle.dump
DBD::Oracle::st fetchrow_arrayref failed: ERROR fetching field 2 of 4. LOB value truncated from 30412298 to 10000000. DBI attribute LongReadLen too small and/or LongTruncOk not set [for Statement "select * from rhnactionconfigrevisionresult"] at /usr/bin/spacewalk-dump-schema line 130.
DBD::Oracle::st fetchrow_arrayref failed: ERROR fetching field 2 of 4. LOB value truncated from 30412298 to 10000000. DBI attribute LongReadLen too small and/or LongTruncOk not set [for Statement "select * from rhnactionconfigrevisionresult"] at /usr/bin/spacewalk-dump-schema line 130.

After capturing a dump of the oracle database, I continued despite the above errors. I install and configure the postgresql server  as directed.
Here's a list of the postgresql packages installed:

[root at vacslp01spacewalk db_1]# rpm -qa|grep postgres
postgresql84-libs-8.4.9-1.el5_7.1
postgresql-jdbc-8.1.407-1jpp.4
postgresql84-server-8.4.9-1.el5_7.1
postgresql-libs-8.1.23-1.el5_7.2
postgresql84-8.4.9-1.el5_7.1

Populating the  postgreSQL db didn't produce any errors. After completing all the steps in the above mentioned wiki page, I went on and followed the instructions in https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToUpgrade#UpgradeofSpacewalkconfiguration

The 'spacewalk-setup --disconnected -upgrade' command generated the following errors:

[root at vacslp01spacewalk data]# spacewalk-setup --disconnected --upgrade
** Database: Setting up database connection for PostgreSQL backend.
Hostname (leave empty for local)?
Database? spacewalk
Username? spacewalk
Password?
** Database: Populating database.
** Database: Skipping database population.
* Setting up users and groups.
** GPG: Initializing GPG and importing key.
You must enter an email address.
Admin Email Address? unixadmins at central1.com
* Performing initial configuration.
* Activating Spacewalk.
** Certificate not activated.
** Upgrade process requires the certificate to be activated after the schema is upgraded.
* Enabling Monitoring.
* Configuring apache SSL virtual host.
Should setup configure apache's default ssl server for you (saves original ssl.conf) [Y]?
* Configuring tomcat.
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file web.xml.rej
* Configuring jabberd.
* Creating SSL certificates.
** Skipping SSL certificate generation.
* Deploying configuration files.
* Update configuration in database.
DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR:  null value in column "category_id" violates not-null constraint
Issuing rollback() for database handle being DESTROY'd without explicit disconnect().

At this point, I'm stuck. Tomcat generates tonnes of exceptions. Nothing really works. That's what I'd expect since the 'spacewalk-setup' command doesn't finish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.