[Spacewalk-list] New CentOS Errata Tool for Spacewalk

Steve Meier email at steve-meier.de
Mon Apr 16 20:21:51 UTC 2012

Dear Jeremy,

thank you for having a look at my tool. I will try to answer your questions:

a) How does that file (XML) get updated?
This is a semi-automated process. I take most of the information from the official
CentOS-Announce Mailing-List. After collecting this I correct some errors, typos
and other stuff before offering it for download. I currently aim to update the XML
every one or two weeks, depending on the amount of Errata published.

b) Can it cope with multiple channels?
I think so, yes. Before creating any Errata the script scans your channels to see
which packages are where since there is no naming convention or other way to
tell which channels contain Base, Updates or Custom packages.
The Errata announcement includes the filenames of packages that resolve it.
I consider this filename to be a unique identifier. Therefore an Errata will be
linked to all channels that contain the announced package.

c) Can it cope with non-daily updates?
Mostly. If the script can not find any package that is listed in an Errata it will not
be created and therefore be checked again if you re-run the script. If an Errata
has been created it currently does not get updated.
So you could run into a situation where you have not downloaded all the packages
listed and your local Errata might therefore be incomplete. I don't think that this
would happen regularly.

I hope this answers your question and is helpful to other people trying this tool.
Let me know if you have further question, improvements or ideas.

Kind regards,
  Steve