[Spacewalk-list] Recommended Database backend for 1.7

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:13:12 UTC 2012

Oracle is the old standard safe route.
PostgreSQL is where the development is going.
Not all of the functions are ported to PostgreSQL yet but its getting
closer with every release.
That being said there have been incidents on the list of some Oracle
compatibility issues popping up however they can mostly be worked
around by taking greater care while setting up Oracle. For example one
that pops into my mind is the default Character encoding in the
database should be set to UTF-8 which is not the default for many
Oracle versions.

In other words as of 1.7 Oracle is still the safer route for now,
however this will probably change in future versions.