[Spacewalk-list] spacewalk 1.7 centos 6.2/6.3 package not shown via yum

Max Vernimmen m.vernimmen at comparegroup.eu
Mon Aug 20 14:31:51 UTC 2012

Hi list,

We've been running spacewalk 1.7 with postgresql for a while now and
it's working nicely. Today a user asked me why he couldn't install
perl-MIME-tools-5.427-4.el6.noarch, it was nowhere to be found via yum.
When looking in spacewalk it turns out this is a package that is part of
the centos-base and was available on the spacewalk server. A 'yum clean
metadata' and a 'yum clean all' did not help. There were no conflicting
yum repositories configured on the server. Yum search did not list this
package as available. But I could install the package without any
problem whatsoever when installing it through spacewalk.

Shouldn't yum be able to do the same? What could be the possible cause
for this? I have another system with the same symptom.

Probably just a lack of knowledge on some aspect on my side, so I'm
sorry to bother you with this question if it should be obvious.

Kind regards,

Max Vernimmen