[Spacewalk-list] How to use Spacewalk to upgrade RHEL to higher version(s)?

spacewalk at epperson.homelinux.net spacewalk at epperson.homelinux.net
Sat Dec 1 00:58:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, November 30, 2012 18:31, Jacob Yundt wrote:
>>Just curious:  where are they finding that?
>
> AIX

Oh, right.  A major driver for most of us in the Linux camp was experience
with vendor lock-in on proprietary hardware/software bundles, so I didn't
read what you originally said as clearly as I should.

>>We time our major Linux version upgrades to hardware replacement
> cycles and build the new servers in parallel with the old ones.
>
> Agreed, this is similar to what we do.  But unfortunately, our hardware
> refresh cycles don't always align with scheduled application and/or OS
> upgrades.

Nor ours.  Typically we find the hardware cycles to be shorter than the OS
ones, for major releases.  But that's in the low-cost commodity hardware
market.  If you lock in to a single-vendor solution, I suppose it can be
different.