[Spacewalk-list] How to use Spacewalk to upgrade RHEL to higher version(s)?

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 06:21:16 UTC 2012

Robert,

> I wish they'd come up with a way that is smoother like other Unix based
OSes like Tru64 Unix, Mac OS X and others that will help you upgrade in
place.   Unfortunately that's not the model with Linux.  One can hope and
dream.   Having spent many years supporting OpenVMS, this was one of the
nicer features of that OS from the very beginning.

Debian do have this ability already so its distribution specific, not Linux
issue

> I'm really not sure why the engineering teams behind OS upgrades for
linux think that their method of delete and reimage for major upgrades is
an acceptable model.   It makes it more simple in terms of clearing the
deck of any cruft that the previous release(s) might have included that
need to go away instead of having to carefully craft scripts that will comb
through and eject things that must disappear.

I think its more than cleaning up unneeded packages.  More of dependency
issues.

Why Debian pull it and Redhat fail I am not sure. May be its has something
to do with apt verses yum.
>  .   Am I wrong?   Anyone have a different experience than this?   Tell
me there's a magic easy way and I'll be happy to learn it.

No magic I think. Everything has to be fixed manually.

What I have done when in this situation is dump all the rpm in the old
system.  Then strip off the version extension and insure they are on the
new system.

Do anyone have a better way than this by the way? Would be great to share.

William