[Spacewalk-list] space issues in oracle

Anoop Bhat ABhat at trustwave.com
Thu Feb 23 23:39:54 UTC 2012

Fellow Adminauts,

It seems we've run into the 4G limitation in oracle-xe.

We're working to go to 1.6 with pgsql but for now, we just need to get our current 1.4 instance back up and running.

We've been performing alter table shrink space on all the tables listed in TABS but in some cases, it seems to completely hang.

The only way to recover is to reboot entirely and then login as sysdba and run the following.

recover database until cancel;

And

alter database open resetlogs;

This has happened several times. We also don't know if this is the right way to approach this problem.

My question is two fold to the community. Why does this happen? Has anyone experienced this before?

The second question is around truncating tables that may be less important data that won't be missed. Any ideas on what those tables might be?

Unfortunately, we're not oracle experts here so hunting for information is both good and bad because there's no real assurance that we're doing things right.

Lastly, what are the most effective ways of monitoring space in the DB? Are there any pages out there that people use for quick queries that are really useful and specific to spacewalk?

I can't wait to get to postgresql.

Anoop Bhat

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.