[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk kickstart setup

lee funnyvoice at tlabs.ac.za
Mon Feb 27 08:36:16 UTC 2012

On 02/24/2012 05:17 PM, Jonathan DeHaan wrote:
> Lee,
>
> There is no default root password. All Red Hat/Centos/Fedora
> distributions ask for a root password during install, and do not
> permit a blank root password. By setting the root password in the
> kickstart, you are then no longer required to provide one during the
> install. From a certain perspective, Spacewalk is giving you the
> opportunity to set the default root password in the kickstart, but for
> security reasons there is not a built-in default.
>
> You could save a few keystrokes by cloning your kickstart, which will
> keep the root password from the original kickstart, but you need an
> original to start with for that to be helpful.
>
> Jonathan
>
> On 02/24/2012 03:45 AM, lee wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> When I create a new kickstart in spacewalk, it asks for a root password
>> for that kickstart, to be set. Is there away of having a default root
>> password, that is set automatically without having to enter it.
>>
>> When you click the finish button it doesn't set a 'default' root
>> password?
>>

>> Regards
>> Lee

Hi

Im creating a number of kickstarts for different boxes. some of which
are similar. Ja, got the cloning bit, but it seems that spacewalk could
do with a feature that sets a default root pass for all machines that is
kickstarted and registered to say a specific spacewalk server???

We most use secure keys as admin logins, and never really the password.
So the password can be complex, and/or cycled.

any ideas on this?

Regards
Lee