[Spacewalk-list] Can't change base channel of a proxy

Scott Worthington scott.c.worthington at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:03:41 UTC 2012

> I am also, on Spacewalk 1.6, trying to change the base software channel
> on a activated Spacewalk Proxy 1.6 server.
>
> You can adjust the child channels, but not the base channel.
>
> My Spacewalk server is registered to itself within Spacewalk.  I can
> change its base channels.
>
> Is there something special about Spacewalk Proxy servers that you
> cannot change the Base Software Channel?
>
> Do I need to deactivate the Spacewalk Proxy, change the Base
> Software Channel and then reactivate the Spacewalk Proxy?
>
> --ScottW

Perhaps the disappearing Base Software Channel is a safety feature
of an active Spacewalk proxy in the Spacewalk web GUI?

I was able to change the Base Software Channel by doing the following.

* Deactivate the Spacewalk Proxy from the proxy's command line:

/usr/bin/rhn-proxy-activate \
--server="spacewalk-server.example.com" \
--ca-cert="/usr/share/rhn/RHN-ORG-TRUSTED-SSL-CERT"
--version="1.6" \
--deactivate

* Go to the Spacewalk web GUI and remove the existing child channels,
and then change the Base Software Channel and reactivate necesssary
child channels.

* Activate the Spacewalk Proxy

/usr/bin/rhn-proxy-activate \
--server="spacewalk-server.example.com" \
--ca-cert="/usr/share/rhn/RHN-ORG-TRUSTED-SSL-CERT"
--version="1.6"

That process allows you to change the Base Software Channel.

I double checked servers that were using the Proxy by clicking on
Systems --> name of server --> Details --> Connection and
the Proxy connection is still listed.  So, deactivating and activating
does not break existing servers using the proxy.

I also tested the servers that use the proxy by performing a
'yum clean all ; yum check-update ; rhn-profile-sync'
and all still works.

I hope this info helps others.

I still no idea why the Base Software Channel in the Spacewalk web GUI
disappears while the Spacewalk Proxy is active.

--ScottW