[Spacewalk-list] New to spacewalk

Christopher J Petrolino cpetrolino at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 18:23:31 UTC 2012

Hello list,

I am new to Spacewalk and while it seems like a fantastic tool I am
struggling with a few basic concepts. I have done a fair amount of
reading and I still seem to be hitting a brick wall so I am hoping
someone can at least point me in the right direction.

Question one - I have setup the common channels using the common
channels script in the spacewalk-utils package. More specifically I
have setup the common Channels for Centos 5. My question is what is
the 'correct way' to handle minor releases? In other words if I
understand the setup properly I have created channels for Centos 5.0,
now I want to add Centos 5.7. I'm a little confused as to what the
'right way to do this is'.

Question two - I want to make spacewalk aware of my various Cent
installs on my network and make those installs aware of spacewalk. If
I understand correctly I first install the Spacewalk client and then
use the 'rhnreg_ks' command to accomplish this. Am I understanding
this correctly?

Forgive the very basic questions but I am just not quite getting it
for some reason.

thanks!

CJP