[Spacewalk-list] New to spacewalk

Jonathan DeHaan jdehaan at nexstar.tv
Fri Jan 13 19:17:18 UTC 2012

Question two: If you are doing it manually, rhn_register is probably
more useful than rhnreg_ks (the ks stands for kickstart), as it is more
interactive. I suppose it depends on how many Centos boxes you are
adding. :-)

I'll leave the channels question those who are running Centos. I've
seen several different suggested layouts on the list before, you might
want to check the archives.

Jonathan

On Fri 13 Jan 2012 12:23:31 PM CST, Christopher J Petrolino wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am new to Spacewalk and while it seems like a fantastic tool I am
> struggling with a few basic concepts. I have done a fair amount of
> reading and I still seem to be hitting a brick wall so I am hoping
> someone can at least point me in the right direction.
>
> Question one - I have setup the common channels using the common
> channels script in the spacewalk-utils package. More specifically I
> have setup the common Channels for Centos 5. My question is what is
> the 'correct way' to handle minor releases? In other words if I
> understand the setup properly I have created channels for Centos 5.0,
> now I want to add Centos 5.7. I'm a little confused as to what the
> 'right way to do this is'.
>
> Question two - I want to make spacewalk aware of my various Cent
> installs on my network and make those installs aware of spacewalk. If
> I understand correctly I first install the Spacewalk client and then
> use the 'rhnreg_ks' command to accomplish this. Am I understanding
> this correctly?
>

> Forgive the very basic questions but I am just not quite getting it
> for some reason.
>

> thanks!
>

> CJP

Jonathan DeHaan