[Spacewalk-list] Register Suse Systems

Michael Calmer mc at suse.de
Thu Jun 14 12:00:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

this plugin is general for libzypp. This means also yast can access spacewalk
after it is installed. It is not limted to zypper commandline tool.

About the error: Are you sure, that mirror process on spacewalk of the suse
repos is finished and the metadata are already created?

Missing metadata could be a reason why yast display this message.

Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012, 13:31:07 schrieb Alan Pittman:
> If all of the Spacewalk client components installed correctly, there is a
zipper plug-in. So instead of using yast, you issue the following from the
command line:

bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of trumpjk at gmail.com
> Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:38 PM
> To: spacewalk-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: [Spacewalk-list] Register Suse Systems
>
> On , Alan Pittman <Alan.Pittman at publix.com<mailto:Alan.Pittman at publix.com>>
wrote:

> > Here's how I manage opensuse, hopefully this helps. This is an answer to
similar question a while back.

> > Hi Chuck,
> >
> >   I use Spacewalk to manage a couple of opensuse 12.1 machines.
> >

> > Here's what I've got setup, using 32bit as the example:
> >
> > Parent Channel:
> >

> > Channel Name:     opensuse12.1-i586
> >
> > Channel Label:    opensuse12.1-32bit
> >
> > Parent Channel:   (none)
> >
> > Yum Repository Checksum Type:       sha1
> >
> > Architecture:     IA-32
> >

> > Update channel (note: I have two child channels, just showing the update
channel here):

> > Channel Name:     opensuse12.1-i586-updates
> >
> > Channel Label:    opensuse12.1-32bit-updates
> >
> > Parent Channel:   opensuse12.1-i586
> >
> > Yum Repository Checksum Type:       sha1
> >
> > Architecture:     IA-32

> > Repo for the update channel:
> >

> > Repo label: opensuse12.1-32bit-updates-repo
> >
> > Repo URL:
> > http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.1/
> >

> > To sync the channel, I created a script that I schedule via cron:
> >
> > [root at taeps001 ~]# cat /usr/local/bin/sync-opensuse12-32.sh
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > /usr/bin/spacewalk-repo-sync --channel opensuse12.1-32bit-updates --type
yum

> > When the sync runs, I get a log of messages that look like this:
> >

> > Package arch x86_64 incompatible with channel opensuse12.1-32bit-updates
> >

> > You need not worry about them, opensuse places both i586 and x86_64 rpms
in the same remote repository. Spacewalk will receive them, but since I'm are
trying to sync a 32 bit channel (ia-32), the x86_64 packages just exist in
"limbo".
> > Going to "Manage Software Packages" and in the Channel field, select
"packages with no channels", the x86_64 packages will display.

> > If you create an opensuse x86_64 channel and run a sync, these "limbo"
packages get pushed into the x86_64 channel. At least, that what it appears to
do.

> > On the opensuse machine, I just followed these procedures:
> > https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/RegisteringClients.
> >
> > The machines don't have internet access, so I manually downloaded the
spacewalk-client packages and installed them.

baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/systemsmanagement:/spacewalk:/1.7/openSUSE_12.1/

bounces at redhat.com> [mailto:spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com]
> > On Behalf Of trumpjk at gmail.com<mailto:trumpjk at gmail.com>
> >
> > Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:29 PM
> >
> > To: spacewalk-list at redhat.com<mailto:spacewalk-list at redhat.com>
> >
> > Subject: [Spacewalk-list] Register Suse Systems
> >

> > Can someone point me to instructions on how to configure a suse system to
use spacewalk?

> Thanks Alan,
> How do you set the suse system to use spacewalk for update? I was able to
get the suse system to register with spacewalk server. but if I bring up yast
it complains about update repo not being defined?

--
Regards

	Michael Calmer

Michael Calmer