[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk Tuning Options Question

Jeremy Davis jdavis4102 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 23:10:51 UTC 2012

Hello List,

I have a Spacewalk 1.6 installation running with 20 proxy servers with 6500
clients connecting to the 20 proxy servers. Over the past few days I have
seen Spacewalk hang randomly and during times where we are trying to send
remote actions (using osa-dispatcher) to all 6500 servers. At one point I
saw tomcat error out with "Out of Memory" error.

After seeing the "Out of Memory" error message and how much free ram
was available I decided that I needed more memory as the server was running
low. Due to this I have upgrade my memory to 96G.

After this RAM upgrade it seems that the Spacewalk Web UI still keeps
hanging. I noticed in the tomcat configuration that we are using 256m for
the -Xms and -Xmx settings.

My question is this. Would updating these memory settings to a higher
setting help with Spacewalk hanging randomly? If so how much should I
increase these. I was going to set this to 1/4 of the amount of free memory
based on free -m would this be ok (which would be 1408m based on current
free -m)?

Also is there any other settings I should be looking at to tune Spacewalk
to be able to manage 6500+ clients? Any assistance you could provide in
this would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note group listings(1000+), system listings, and adding a lot of
servers to SSM does take a lot of time to add all servers. Would increasing
the tomcat settings help with this or are there other settings that might
help speed things up?

Below you will find the current information about this system:
sar: Average:          all     13.43      0.00      0.81      0.49
 0.00     85.27

free -m:              total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:         96672      91037       5634          0        943      77929
-/+ buffers/cache:      12163      84508
Swap:         8191          0       8191

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

Regards,
Jeremy