[Spacewalk-list] Replicate spacewalk core to another data center for HA

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 21:19:21 UTC 2012

take a look at this

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite/5.2/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html#s1-redundant-satellite

keeping this in mind it should be possible to do postgresql in hot
standby mode http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/hot-standby.html

the big question i have here is are all write transactions done in
explicit transactions because that would work great for hot stand by
with pgpool 2 because you could also load balance the read only
queries.
if not all of the writes are in transaction blocks then it will need
to be configured to do a full fail over in which case synchronous
replication may be a better choice.

now this still doesn't handle the replication of /var/satellite but
that could easily be handled by external script with some sort of
trigger. the trick is figuring out the trigger or adding a hook for
one into spacewalk that gets triggered every time it writes to a file
under /var/satellite
possibly in the short term a script that recursively stats the
directory structure and looks for changes might work it would also
allow for use of targeted rsyncs which would be faster than doing the
whole structure every time.