[Spacewalk-list] how to send daily summary emails

rhn-satellite at epperson.homelinux.net rhn-satellite at epperson.homelinux.net
Thu May 10 22:50:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 15:37, Joshua Frugé wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM,  <rhn-satellite at epperson.homelinux.net>
>  wrote:
>> On Thu, May 10, 2012 10:56, Joshua Frugé wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Can someone point me to documentation or give me a quick run through
>>> on how to get emails setup in spacewalk?  Running 1.7 on centos 6.2
>>> x86_64.
>>>
>>> I've set spacewalk (I think) to send Daily Summary and update
>>> notifications, but it never attempts to send out an email (judging
>>> from the maillog).
>>>

>> Can you send mail from the command line?, e.g. mail -s"test"
>> somebody at example.com < /dev/null
>>
>> If so, it's in your spacewalk setup.  If not, it's probably your MTA.
>>  But they switched the default MTA to postfix in EL6, and I'm a
>> sendmail practitioner, so I can't help with that.
>>

> I can send email from the command line, mta appears to be working. How
> would I go about checking the setup configuration?

Daily Summary and update notifications would be sent to spacewalk accounts
with email notifications turned on in User List ⇒ Active ⇒
User Details ⇒ Preferences, for the systems the account can manage.
The account must also have a valid email address setting.  Certain
administrative notifications, like reports of Taskomatic issues, are sent
to the admin email address configured in Admin ⇒ Satellite
Configuration ⇒ General.

I can't turn up much about how the notifications are done "under the
hood", so if you have the above email addresses set up and notifications
turned on, and the mta is not seeing any attempts to send mail, I guess
you'd have to start looking at source and searching for "mail" references
in any log.