[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk and RHN Channels Best Practices

Musayev, Ilya imusayev at webmd.net
Tue May 15 16:58:19 UTC 2012

Looking for a general layout of channels for updates only (no management or provisioning as it handled by other systems).

Example:

Would you recommend getting all packages/erratas continuously from rhn for base channel rhel-x86_64-server-5 and then span off clones and/or child channels to test out patches?

I just need enterprise working layout that I can setup in house.
My environment consists of prod and non prod servers. I would like to be able to test latest patches on specific non-prod servers, mark them as stable/verified and promote the same operation to production servers and obviously preserve the states. I also would to for all prod servers to have erratas displayed so I know how far they are lagging behind.

How would I go about this setup in terms of system groups and channels?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
ilya