[Spacewalk-list] Partitioning

Mike Wilson mrwboilers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 19:47:59 UTC 2012

First, let me apologize in advance if this is in the wiki and I just
overlooked it. (But I did look)

I'm setting up a kickstart profile. Can someone point me towards some sort
of reference on how to configure the partitioning? I thought I had it
correct, but I'm trying to kickstart a different machine (with a different
size disk) and it errored out saying that there isn't enough space left for
/boot.

All I want it to do, is to erase any existing partitions, and use the full
disk with the default layout. I want this regardless of how big the disk
is. There must be a simple way to do that, right?

Here is what I had in the kickstart profile | System Details | partitioning:

clearpart --all
part /boot --fstype=ext3 --size=200
part pv.01 --size=1000 --grow
part swap --size=1000   --maxsize=2000
volgroup myvg pv.01
logvol / --vgname=myvg --name=rootvol --size=1000 --grow

This was set by doing a manual install of CentOS (with the default layout)
and then copying the partition section of /root/anaconda-ks.cfg.

I then changed this to just

clearpart --all
autopart

I got the same result:

"Could not allocate requested partitions:

Partitioning failed: Could not allocate partitions as primary partitions.
Not enough space left to create partition for /boot."

I realize this isn't necessarily specific to kickstart. Is there any
documentation out there on anaconda? My googling led to trying autopart. So
far I haven't found any other ideas.