[Spacewalk-list] spacewalk-schema-upgrade 1.7 to 1.8 never exits

Stefan Roat - SKIDATA Stefan.Roat at skidata.com
Thu Nov 15 15:59:14 UTC 2012

Hi list,

first of all, my setup is CentOS 6.3 x86_64 for the spacewalk server and Oracle RAC 11gR2 as database.

I have two sets of the above in two separate physical environments, both serve about 100 clients.
The error I'm about to describe occurs on both setups and is reproducible by going back on my vm/db snapshots and trying again.

So I'm updating spacewalk 1.7 to 1.8 and yum update runs fine.
But then, I start spacewalk-schema-upgrade and it never exits. The log in /var/log/spacewalk/schema-upgrade/ ends with

'SPACEWALK-SCHEMA-1.7-TO-SPACEWALK-SCHEMA-1.8/132-TABLES-TIMESTAMPS.SQL.ORACL
spacewalk-schema-1.7-to-spacewalk-schema-1.8/132-tables-timestamps.sql.oracle

but there is never a "Commit complete" afterwards, like in the other sections of the log.

I look at my Oracle DB and I can see heavy traffic and sessions on my spacewalk schema for about 45 minutes, then nothing .... no sessions or whatever, with spacewalk-schema-upgrade still running. I let it run over night but no result and no new sessions to the database.

Any ideas what went wrong? I updated the same installation on the same db since spacewalk 1.4, schema-upgrade never caused problems.

cheers,
Stefan Roat