[Spacewalk-list] install basic pkgs without going internet

Gerald Vogt vogt at spamcop.net
Fri Nov 30 10:36:39 UTC 2012

On 30.11.2012 11:24, Mohit Vadhera wrote:
> a) What are other features  to use with it . As per my reading  features
> are ( kickstart, hardware inventory, yum ) ? is there anything else i
> can use with it ?

Configuration file management: I install some 30 configuration files for
LDAP, DNS, network configuration, etc. to the clients. This way can
maintain a consistent installation of your main configuration on all
your clients.

> b) In my situation i 've to again need yum for basic client setup . why
> one more yum is required . I need to get all machines in spacewalk it
> means i've to install all 4 required pkgs on all machines using yum and
> it gives dependencies issue . I want to make it easier. Any suggestion?

There is no other way: to use the spacewalk client on your client
systems you must install the rpms on the client.

Set up your own yum repository. Include all spacewalk client rpms.

Then check which dependencies are missing. Include those missing rpms
into your repository. If you have a consistent installation on most of
your client systems it shouldn't be too hard to find all the necessary
dependencies. On our CentOS 5 clients yum installed 11 rpms to get the
client connected to the spacewalk server.

Then use configuration file management to deploy a .repo file to your
client which disables the repo for your initial installation on the
client. From then on, clients only access the spacewalk server for
updates...

-Gerald