[Spacewalk-list] Massive problems with slow updates on rhnServerAction

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 18:09:53 UTC 2012

well thats one part of it but also
ulimit -n
which can be set persistently with a nofile entry in
/etc/security/limits.conf or equivalent file in
/etc/security/limits.d/

there is also one more thing do you have a
/var/lib/pgsql/data/base/pgsql_tmp/ directory and does it contain
files. the existence of that directory indicates there was a query
that required more memory than it was allowed to use.

I suspect you may have a query thats timing out and the space walk
kills the connection uncleanly and leaves behind artifact connections.
or possibly you may be reaching a file handle limit on one of the
spacewalk processes and keep in mind an network socket is counted as a
file.

also in the postgresql.conf look at the section about TCP keepalive

"
# - TCP Keepalives -
# see "man 7 tcp" for details

#tcp_keepalives_idle = 0                # TCP_KEEPIDLE, in seconds;
                                        # 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_interval = 0            # TCP_KEEPINTVL, in seconds;
                                        # 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_count = 0               # TCP_KEEPCNT;
                                        # 0 selects the system default
"

note all of these have have a value greater than 1
setting these flags should cull any connections from clients that are
no longer there.