[Spacewalk-list] Re-registering clients causing problem with client-type identification

Jeremy Maes jma at schaubroeck.be
Thu Apr 11 07:35:44 UTC 2013

Op 10/04/2013 21:18, Michal Bruncko schreef:
> Hello again,
>
> I will try to formulate my question another way: how the client is
> detecting that if it is the virtual guest or standalone station? As I
> can see from VM properties within Spacewalk, this system contain
> virtualization and UUID fields. From which system resource is this
> information provided from client to server?
Are you talking about the icon? I've also noticed that depending on
where you view the system it might not display the right icon. I have a
bunch of VM's all with the correct Virtualization info, that have the
right icon in the "All" systems view and get listed correctly in the
"Virtual Systems" list.

When I look at the systems list of a group however they all show the
"physical machine" icon. I've never really paid further attention to it
but that might be a bug.

> I remember that I had similar problem once I've used 1.2 or 1.3
> version of Spacewalk satellite.
>
> thanks
>
> michal
>
> On 31. 3. 2013 20:37, Michal Bruncko wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I am in following situation:
>> - I've successfully installed and using spacewalk 1.9 with ~20
>> clients for some time
>> - I've decided to rename one of spacewalk client (paravirtualized
>> guest on XenServer) following way:
>>  -- delete system entry from Spacewalk server (using classic system
>> deletion)
>>  -- rename hostname (editing /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/hosts file)
>> followed with restart
>>  -- and try to re-register with spacewalk using "--foce" parameter to
>> rhnreg_ks
I'm wondering why you would delete a system only to have a hostname
change correctly shown in spacewalk? You can get the client to update
its system info (hostname, hardware, etc) by running the
*rhn-profile-sync* command. The spacewalk profile name (separate from
the hostname) can be changed in the webui or via spacecmd.

Regards,
Jeremy

 **** DISCLAIMER ****
http://www.schaubroeck.be/maildisclaimer.htm