[Spacewalk-list] issues with spacewalk 1.9 managing visualization on Scientific Linux 6.4

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 20:46:23 UTC 2013

hello every one
I've run into an issue deploying virtual machines on Scientific Linux 6.4
the only thing I could figure out is virt-who seems to be malfunctioning
here is a repeating message I'm seeing in /var/log/rhsm/rhsm.log
"
2013-12-08 15:09:06,917 [ERROR]  @virt-who.py:119 - Unable to obtain
status from server, UEPConnection is likely not usable:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-who/virt-who.py", line 113, in initSM
    self.subscriptionManager = SubscriptionManager(self.logger)
  File "/usr/share/virt-who/subscriptionmanager.py", line 42, in __init__
    self.readConfig()
  File "/usr/share/virt-who/subscriptionmanager.py", line 56, in readConfig
    raise SubscriptionManagerError("Unable to read certificate, system
is not registered or you are not root")
SubscriptionManagerError: Unable to read certificate, system is not
registered or you are not root
2013-12-08 15:09:06,919 [ERROR]  @virt-who.py:215 - Unable to recover,
retry in 60 seconds.

"
when I run rhn_check then echo $? it returns 0 so that seems to be working.
I've found references to using subscription-manager to correct it but
that command is not available on Scientific Linux nor is it in the
spacewalk client repo.

I was able to find an old version here
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/x86_64/os/Packages/subscription-manager-0.95.11-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

and I re-pointed the configs that were included to my spacewalk server
the problem is when I run subscription manager i get the error
"certificate verify failed"
I verified that i can both forward and reverse look up the spacewalk
host via nslookup

does any one have any suggestions