[Spacewalk-list] New system provisioning in Cobbler/Spacewalk

Daniel Souvignier daniel.souvignier at ias.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Dec 17 06:22:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

what I do is to build an RPM package which registers the system with the
spacewalk server (I added the register command in the .spec file). But
if you just want to PXE boot it, that is not necessary as you just have
to add the activation key to your kickstart profile and configure it to
subscribe to all channels you want it to subscribe. That way, you can
just have the data center technician PXE boot the system (selecting the
right profile, of course) and everything is fine from there. Once the
installation is finished, the system will show up in spacewalk
automatically.

Regards,
Daniel

Am 17.12.2013 00:00, schrieb Paul Robert Marino:
> This is actually something I've been thinking about my self. As far as
> I know there aren't any RFEs for this but I would double check on the
> bugzilla site.
> I do agree though it would be nice if you already know the mac address
> and or what the IP addresses will be for a new host to be able to
> pre-provision it in the spacewalk GUI so a data center technician
> could just plug it in PXE boot it and go.
>
> Currently what you can do is in the kickstart profile under bare metal
> you can assign a IP range to default to using that profile but its not
> exactly the same thing as being ableto perconfigure a host complete
> with system variables to plug into the configs
>

> -- Sent from my HP Pre3

> On Dec 16, 2013 16:14, Jeff Bachtel <jbachtel at bericotechnologies.com>
> wrote:
>
> For provisioning new systems in my existing Spacewalk infrastructure, is
> there a better practice way than to run cobbler system add from the CLI?
> That is, am I missing a menu option somewhere in Spacewalk to input a
> new IP, MAC address, hostname, and Kickstart profile for a host?
>
> If I'm not missing anything and such a menu option does not exist, is it
> on the radar as a feature request?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Daniel Souvignier
Fachinformatiker Systemintegration in Ausbildung
Lehrstuhl für integrierte Analogschaltungen
RWTH Aachen
Sommerfeldstraße 24 (Walther-Schottky-Haus)
52074 Aachen
Raum 24C 313
Tel.:0241/80-27771
www.ias.rwth-aachen.de