[Spacewalk-list] Patch/update selection saving and re-applying

Pieter Thysebaert pieter.thysebaert at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 12:48:48 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm looking into setting up SpaceWalk as a way of managing at least the
updates/patches applied to our CentOS systems.

In particular, I'm wondering whether it is feasible to "save" a selection
of updates to install, and push thosed updates to a system some day in the
future.

To be more precise: let's say we have QA and production machines. Assume we
go through this cycle

  1. yum update on QA machine
  2. test on QA machine
  3. if OK, do same thing on production machine

Of course, some time may pass between the actions on the QA machine and the
production machine so that "yum update" on the QA machine on one day, and
then "yum update" on the production machine on a later day may result in
different updates and patches (later versions) being installed on the
production machine.

What would be the recommended way to keep the production machine at the
same patchlevel as the QA machine?
Is there functionality in Spacewalk to update a machine to the same
version/update/patchlevel as another reference machine (ie the QA machine)?
Can I save the updates applied to the QA machine, and then only update the
production machine using this "selection" somehow?

Thanks!
Pieter