[Spacewalk-list] RHNSD silently failing on current Fedora17?

Jonathan Hoser jonathan.hoser at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Mon Jan 28 09:56:26 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm facing a puzzling issue:
On recent installs of a fully up-to-date Fedora17 systems
the rhnsd deamon silently fails.

I activate it using
#systemctl enable rhnsd.service
ln -s '/usr/lib/systemd/system/rhnsd.service'
'/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/rhnsd.service'

followed by a
# systemctl start rhnsd.service

however:
# systemctl status rhnsd.service
rhnsd.service - Red Hat Network Server daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rhnsd.service; enabled)
       Active: inactive (dead) since Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:49:11 +0100; 4s ago
      Process: 28336 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rhnsd (code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
       CGroup: name=systemd:/system/rhnsd.service

There's no entry in /var/log/messages or anywhere,
if I start it from non-service environment (i.e. just running rhnsd) it
will run fine,
rerunning 'systemctl start rhnsd.service' afterwards a couple of times,
will make systemctl pick up on the running rhnsd
and list it as running.

Does anyone have a clue about what might be going on?
Or steps for me to take to debug the issue?

Thanks && best
-jonathan

--

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)