[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart: Pause before post-install scripts?

Mathew Snyder mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 18:57:12 UTC 2013

The method we use currently in a virtual environment and at my previous job
in a physical environment is to have a separate provisioning network. The
servers are PXE booted on the provisioning network while the other NICs are
attached to their respective VLANs.

Our Satellite server (this would apply to Spacewalk as well) is on one of
the other three VLANs which is for management. Our post script pulls down
all the scripts which actually do the work and places them in
/usr/local/src/scripts (other files that only contain data are under
/usr/local/src/files). The post script simply makes entries in
/etc/rc.local which execute the actual scripts. Once the scrip runs it
removes itself from /etc/rc.local.

This allows the kickstart to take place, networking and other
configurations to be made, all the correct VLAN attachments to be in place
and all of the Satellite processing to be done (among many other things)
without having to perform any tasks after the fact. We simply reset the
root password and send it on to QA.

If your goal is to kickstart from the Satellite server this may not work
for you.

-Mathew

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at
all." - God; Futurama

"We'll get along much better once you accept that you're wrong and neither
am I." - Me