[Spacewalk-list] Keepalive for Database Connections?

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Fri Jun 7 12:29:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 10:30:21AM +0200, sela at mms-dresden.de wrote:

> First I tried to set "SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 10" in
> /etc/rhn/tns_admin/osa-dispatcher/sqlnet.ora - which should tell the Oracle
> Instant Client to use its implemented keepalives procedures. It just doesn't
> work.

As pointed out by Michael, this is server-side thing which allows the
server to detect dead connections and release server resources.

> Then I tried to set appropriate TCP-Keepalive Values in the Linux Kernel
> (sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time=600). But the sockets opened by
> spacewalk don't use "SO_KEEPALIVE" - which effectively disables
> tcp-keepalive.
>
> Can someone help me out?

I believe you need to specify

	ENABLE=BROKEN

in your tnsnames.ora to enable TCP keepalive.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Principal Software Engineer, Identity Management Engineering, Red Hat