[Spacewalk-list] Running Spacewalk on RHEL 5 / CentOS 5

Patrick Flaherty pflaherty at wsi.com
Mon Mar 25 15:11:37 UTC 2013

> Hi folks,
> today we provide Spacewalk releases on EL5, EL6, and current Fedora
> versions. Due to the increasing differences of EL5 vs. the newest OSes, we
> are seriously considering not releasing Spacewalk on EL5 anymore, since it
> hinders our ability to do some other forward-looking changes we would like
> to do.
>
> If we make the current Spacewalk 1.9 the last release on EL5, will Spacewalk
> users find it hard to migrate to EL6?
>
> Feedback is appreciated and will be taken into consideration for how quickly
> we make this change.

I'm still running on c5 i386. If there was a clear migration guide I'd
have no issues moving over to c6 x86_64. Bonus points is the migration
guide can probably double as a backup/restore guide (maybe that
already exists). The biggie for me would be not having to re-register
my spacewalk clients. I don't care if I have to re-assign them to
their channels or if I lost history, I just don't want to have to go
touch them all again to get them registered.

Patrick