[Spacewalk-list] Running Spacewalk on RHEL 5 / CentOS 5

richard rigby r.rigby at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 15:28:05 UTC 2013

On 25/03/13 14:57, Cliff Perry wrote:

> Hi folks,
> today we provide Spacewalk releases on EL5, EL6, and current Fedora
> versions. Due to the increasing differences of EL5 vs. the newest OSes,
> we are seriously considering not releasing Spacewalk on EL5 anymore,
> since it hinders our ability to do some other forward-looking changes we
> would like to do.
>
> If we make the current Spacewalk 1.9 the last release on EL5, will
> Spacewalk users find it hard to migrate to EL6?
>
> Feedback is appreciated and will be taken into consideration for how
> quickly we make this change.

is this just talking about the server side, rather than clients?

currently running spacewalk server on el5/32 bit (making use of old
hardware), and all works well.

if 1.9 were to be the last el5 release, it wouldn't be too much of a
pain - we would just stick on this version until able to migrate the
server to el6/64, which we should be able to do without too much
trouble, though we may get a release or two behind before we have time
to do the upgrade. again, not really a worry.

as for client side, we will have some (quite a few) el5 clients for a
while yet, so it would be nice if these could continue to be managed by
spacewalk.

hope that's of some use.

thanks,

richard