[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk usage for patch management

PenguinWhispererThe . th3penguinwhisperer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:11:03 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I want to do patch management on CentOS machines.
But not just push any package that has updates. We should be able to put
them in sets. So for example today I check what updates are available.  I
want to push these out to staging next week.
If these have been working well, later on the same patches should be
installed to the production systems. Even if there are newer updates
available only the approved ones should be installed.

All articles/howtos about this subject speak about how to configure
spacewalk and it's repositories.
However it's not clear to me if Spacewalk is actually able to do this and
what feature I would need for this. Is spacewalk able to accomplish this?
What feature do I use? Remarks?

Note that I want this for base/OS packages too. So not only for custom
repositories.

Thanks in advance for your response.